A Community Art Exhibition
Opens Saturday, October 10, 2020
On view through Sunday, April 18, 2021
Paul Ross Gallery
Scott and Carol Ritchie Gallery
Rgistration closed on Monday, September 28, 2020. Thank you to all of the Wichita-area artists who submitted work to Foot in the Door!
Our Generous Sponsors
Foot in the Door is generously supported by J. Eric Engstrom and Robert Bell, Sonia Greteman and Chris Brunner, Mike and Dee Michaelis, Sondra Langel, and Shaw Family Foundation. Ann and Martin Bauer, Bunny and Bob Brockelman, and Don and Ellie Skokan are additional exhibition sponsors. All exhibitions are supported by the Friends of the Wichita Art Museum and City of Wichita.
About the exhibition "Foot In The Door"
The Wichita Art Museum celebrates artists who call Wichita home. As the verve of the Wichita art community strengthens and the landscape of artists and arts organizations continues to expand, the museum is eager to celebrate the new and growing energy.
To mark the museum’s 85th anniversary, the museum will stage a great community exhibition. To reach into the diverse corners of Wichita and to tap the dynamic of creativity in the city, the art museum will invite artists to share a modest work of art to have their “foot in the door.”
Any individual in the Wichita MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) who identifies as an artist will be welcome to submit a 12 x 12 inch artwork (including the frame)--painting, print, drawing, relief--for presentation in the exhibition Foot in the Door. Young and old, professional and emerging--artists from the Wichita metro will be invited to take part. We anticipate an outpouring of interest and strong participation across the city’s arts scene.
Economic studies attest that a vibrant art scene is a leading ingredient in any prospering city. Wichita boasts a tremendous arts community, and WAM celebrates what the arts add to the good life well-lived in the heartland.
ABOVE: Photo by artist Larry Schwarm of artist Bob Schwan's studio for the book Wichita Artists in Their Studios by author Sondra Langel
"Foot in the Door" Call for Submissions
The Wichita Art Museum (WAM) extends an invitation to all artists in the Wichita area to participate in the exhibition Foot in the Door. This exhibition celebrates the diversity and creativity of Wichita's visual artists by inviting artists to share a modest work of art to get their "foot in the door." This is a unique opportunity for artists--including you--to have artwork on display at WAM.
Foot in the Door will be on view from October 10, 2020, through April 18, 2021.
All artwork will be accepted as long as the work meets the following submission guidelines and does not exceed 12 x 12 inches (including the frame). Accepted artworks will be first-come, first-served as limited registrations arrive.
THE SUBMISSION PERIOD CLOSED MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2020.
Submissions need to be delivered in person from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm Wednesday through Friday, September 30 to October 2, 2020. On Thursday, October 1, we will accept the artworks until 8 pm.
Alternatively, submissions can be mailed with delivery received no later than September 30, 2020. If mailed, the museum will not return the artwork by mail. All artwork must be picked up in person.
Click here to download the mail-in form. Print this form and mail to:
FOOT IN THE DOOR
Wichita Art Museum
1400 West Museum Boulevard
Wichita, KS 67203
- One artwork per person only. This exhibition celebrates individual artists. No group-organized projects or mass submissions, please.
- Artists of all ages are invited to submit one original 12 x 12 inch work of art (including the frame).
- If the artist is below the age of 16, a parent or guardian must sign the submission form.
- The name of the artist, the title, and date of the artwork must be listed on the back of the artwork.
- Any media is allowed and must arrive with hardware, ready to hang and install on the wall.
- Artworks must use braided wire, secured with screw eyes or d-rings approximately one-third down from the top of the work. Wire must be taut. We do not accept works with saw-tooth hangers or other devices.
- No sculpture please, unless it can be hung on a wall.
- No living plants or animals, food, body fluids, wet objects, hazardous or toxic materials.
- No artworks with active insect infestation will be permitted.
- No art that requires electricity.
- Artists must currently live in the Wichita MSA (Statistical Metropolitan Area) as defined by Butler, Harvey, Kingman, Sedgwick, and Sumner counties.
• Artworks will be accepted until the exhibition reaches our maximum capacity of 1,032 objects.
• WAM cannot accommodate individual requests for placing work in specific locations.
• WAM cannot insure works during the exhibition.
• Artwork will be accepted for display only and will not be for sale.
• WAM reserves the right to decline art for display when requirements are not carefully followed.
• The museum is a City of Wichita facility with a commitment to respect the diversity of all visitors. No artwork containing pornography, hate speech, or personal threats will be accepted.
• After the exhibition, artwork may be picked up between 10:30 am and 4:30 pm Tuesday, April 20 through Thursday, April 22, 2021.